Sunday, March 3, 2013

Food and Culture

       The New Era of technology has opened the flood-gates for a free flow of information. Many people have used social media sites to learn about cultures they typically wouldn't experience. Instagram for example, is known for being a place where people post pictures of delicious, different, or disgusting (to some) type of meals as a way to share the experience with the world. 

                  As a nation that is made up of many different cultures, there have been many restaurants from an ethnic and traditional cultural background that have opened up authentic food from different countries. If you ever have the opportunity to visit Austin, TX you will have the pleasure of eating authentic Thai, Bosnian, Turkish, Afghani, Japanese, Italian, French, Brazilian, Indian, and Mediterranean food in a small 2 mile radius in downtown.  This past weekend, I had the opportunity to sample a few of these ethnic foods and was surprised by it. What I found was that as long as I was able to keep an open mind and willing to try anything, it typically ended with me being flabbergasted by how amazing the food was.
                Not only is sampling wholesome ethnic food a great way to keep a healthy diet, but also allows you to learn about different cultures.  Due to the fact that most cultural practices revolve around food, familiarizing ones’ self with different ethnic foods will allow a person to break down barriers and learn about different cultures.  What kind food have you tried that you were surprised you enjoyed? Any suggestions for great ethnic food? 

2 comments:

  1. I had never tried Vietnamese food prior to living in College Station. Once I tried Pho, a delicious noodle soup, I was hooked. I've tried many other dishes since. The meals are light yet filling and depend upon a variety of herbs (cilantro, basil) rather than fats and oils for their flavor. I later found out that I have Celiac disease, which means that I must adhere to a gluten-free diet. Vietnamese food has become a staple since it primarily relies upon rice- rather than wheat-based ingredients. I can't imagine how dull my diet would be without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One type of ethnic food that I recommend trying is barbacoa. Now this isn't the barbacoa from Chipotle, but actual ethnic Hispanic barbacoa. Originally I believe it is the cow's tongue cooked to perfection. I know how disgusting that may sound, but once you try it, you will enjoy it. It is usually cooked for a long time to become tender and is seasoned so well you will definitely want seconds. If you ever get the chance to try it, definitely go for it! Great post! Food is a great expression of culture!

    ReplyDelete